Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Times They Are A Changin'

My cousin is 16. The girl he likes is 18. When they hang out, it's just like I'm back in junior high all over again. They hit one another, say mean (dumb) things, keep moving closer to eventually they are sitting by each other. And then their is the other stages that I never experienced in my younger days. The texting, phone calls, Facebook pokes! We didn't have cell phones for one....we had bag phones. Yup, you remember the huge phone in a bag you plugged into your cigarette lighter. We had those and you definitely didn't whip them out in social gatherings to make a call.
Texting...now there's another one. We didn't even have phones, let alone the ability to text. I didn't get into texting until college!! Now little kids like 12 are texting! And the parents!! They text each others parents too! What!??!! I can't imagine texting my friends mom! It's just so foreign to me!

This day and age, Facebook is a regular everyday word. "facebook pic" "that's going on facebook" "facebook quote!" It's crazy how like everyone can say it and everyone else knows what that person is talking about. I still think facebook should be for college students only though. If a high school principal or someone got on there....yikes! These high school kids are a little riskier then my social circle ever was. The drinking and drugs! I mean you should never do drugs but the drinking, wait until college. Actually don't start at all! All it does is eat up your money. I was on my cousin's facebook and his friends had messages about needing to get drunk this weekend. I was shocked! I like to think I'm not naive but I guess I didn't realize how many kids do it.

Also, the pictures from the halloween parties!! They are dressed like slutty everything! Yet again, not until college did we get 'slutty' and even then it was too cold for me to go prancing around Water Street in thigh highs with my butt hanging out. I guess our children need to mature faster then ever these days which makes me a little scared. What will it be like by the time I have kids?

Now I understand why people always said, "Back in my day....."

No comments: