Monday, May 03, 2010

Home Decor/Bedding = Broken Budget

For this time of my life, I feel like I'm not on a budget. We'll I mean I don't spend like crazy and watch what I spend but I don't really consider myself to be on a strict budget. My bills get paid and I have a place to live so when the paycheck comes, yes, I do probably spend a little more then I should. There's a couple things I think I have a weakness for: 1) bedding or bedding sets, 2) home decor, 3) fabric.



1) Bedding sets and bedding. I have always been addicted to blankets and duvet covers, throws and pillows. I like to mix up my bedroom and the bed spread is fastest way to do that. I have a couple I'm considering right now and one I just bought at Wal-Mart the other day, it is a queen size comforter for only $16, figured you can't go wrong. (For those of you who hate Wal-Mart, I respect you and your decision. But for me - it's quick, close and I can run in and run out get what I need w/o spending an arm and a leg.) My only worry I always have though is after I buy something I always sit and contimplate whether I really need it. I worry that I'll find something better the next week. Here are the one's I like:


Target - DwellStudio® for Target® Mandala Bedding Collection


I love the yellow in this. A yellow bedspread, quilt is what I've been looking for so when I came across this one I was very happy with it.


Wal-Mart - Better Home and Gardens Set



Now this one I love all the colors - not to mention it has some great throw pillows with it! I think it would look super in my bedroom! It's also more affordable then the one at Target. We'll see though, I love them both so much!

2) Home Decor - candle holders, pictures to hang, vases and jars - I love it all!!!! Lately I think I've been able to control myself more b.c I have to keep telling myself that I only have so much room. Living in a one bedroom apartment makes you realize you can't buy too much stuff - there's only so much room to store things! (in reference to #1 though, there is always room for more blankets - I just need to invest in those space saver bags that shrink things so you can store them!)

3) Fabric - When I was unemployed from my previous job I had a lot of time on my hands and had to come up with some hobbies. I started making jewelry and sewing. Jewelry making was really fun and something I've always wanted to learn. I love making earrings and finding great beads to make things with.
My mom had an old sewing machine she got when she was married and I brought it back to my apartment and got some old fabric and made some cute bags. I like to think I've gotten pretty good at sewing - nowhere near quilt making good but I would love to learn to make quilts! Also, I saw this great book with pillows in it and I would love to make some great pillows. I got some great discounted fabric at Jo-Ann's and I've been waiting to find a great pattern to make some throw pillows for my couch.

I'm sure we all have our little quirks and things that draw our attention (and our budgets.) Hopefully I'll be able to send some pics of my new bedding when I finally decide on something! If only I could paint my walls, that would be great! Oh and I need to make some new curtains. Think I'm going to go with a khaki/off white so it goes with all my bed sets. Right now I have brown and it doesn't really match everything. Maybe I'll test my sewing stills on curtains and a bed skirt. Sometimes I feel 80, haha. Saturday night sewing - here I come!

No comments: